Monday, November 26, 2007

In search of gratitude

In researching gratitude for the Sunday program at the Upper Delaware Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, I came across two practices to elevate one’s relationship to gratitude. One suggested that discard 27 things for nine days. For me, who lives uncomfortably in a fairly cluttered house, it sounded like good plan.

So, for day 1, I went through several junk collections and got rid of a couple of spare bandanas that I never wear and never use, a couple of cardboard boxes, an odd sock or two, a nearly empty deodorant container, a couple of wooden nickels, random notes, a broken comb, a small container of powder, a broken eye-glass beaded thing,y a battery, which I have no idea of whether it is good or not, a name tag or two, a shoe polisher from a fancy hotel, and other such extraneous and worthless trashy type items.

It’s not so much that I am proud of today’s lightening, but I did get rid of 27 different things.

I will do it for the next eight days.

And to that end, I am grateful.

1 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there are some animal shelters that accept worn towels, some are always in need of cleaning rags and things like that.

Also many people list things on Freecycle and just give away the whole box of junk. I have done that. I got many responses to "box of junk"!!!

Some people are trying to make a living by reselling some of these things- I know some people are unhappy about this but it serves to supplement fixed incomes for some who do this. I dont personally care. I am often just grateful that it is gone, and out of a landfill.

Salvation Army throws away a lot and until recently the one in Honesdale often had boxes out in the elements- forever ruining books and things.

I see they have gotten much better though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home