Monday, October 15, 2007

And you're going where?

As I attempt to contemplate the true nature of mind, I begin to realize that there are hundreds of veils that cloud our sight and make it nearly impossible to view the world with a detached fascination. We’re too close to a visceral fear which holds us in the aversion of discovering that we are emotional frauds.

Perhaps I only speak for myself.

We cling to imaginary lifeboats of Western thoughts that tell us if we spend enough or save enough we will find some sort of comfort and happiness. If we achieve enough, plan and plot enough, we will avoid life’s churning. We cling to the sides of our proverbial rowboat and gaze into the darkened water. We hold ourselves apart and somehow think that falling in would be the worst thing that could happen.

Perhaps it is.

In the mornings when I sit in meditation, I feel connected to a presence which holds me. In its space, I am filled with answers to questions that I will flounder with in my day. Before I am fully awake, it seems clear that our purpose on earth is to reflect life’s energy in our own particular way.

Within that thought there is existence of a whole unified field of beings and entities that exist to exist; nothing more, nothing less.

I am learning that meditation is not necessarily sitting for expansive amounts of time. Meditation is becoming familiar with your thoughts. When I examine my inner conversations, I find that I am in constant assessment of how I think I am doing, and generally find myself wanting in one way or another. When thoughts break through to the contrary, I smother their light by questioning whether I am then being boastful or ego centered.

In my mind, I am indeed caught.

I imagine a clear sky, an abiding mind, that has compassion, infinite patience for the present moment, and finds a bit of humor in all of the searching being who haven’t quite figured out there’s no place else to be.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...to view the world with a detached fascination". I try to focus that energy on the world, not on myself, as much as possible because (perhaps paradoxically) I think it helps me see myself in a sort of ...periphery? I like to be there.

Not being very academic about my spiritual thoughts, I just do the best that I can. Grapple with it, I suppose.

The "fascination" is where the joy comes into it. (or must, if we are to see an obsessive nature as something to avoid cursing!)
Probably something that draws me to observing nature and living things in their context? It does not qualify as meditation but it helps me work on something else of value to me: "seeing".

To some of us, seeing is everything. The fascination is what pulls the mind along. The fatigue then renders us incapable of the needed construction to perpetuate successful emotional fraud.

And- we can watch, worry less about being watched. Some of us are simply more authentic with the smallest audience we can stand.

I think many of us do indeed go through "exercises" not unlike the "self on the stage" idea where we try to part ways with our own participation in our experience and view ourselves not as actors but someone stepping away from the self long enough to gain some clarity. Can we?

I think framed that way, it is more an act of desperation in a sense, a recognition of that desire to plot and construct toward our perceived emotional safety. Sometimes we want to be experts on the things we can control, and put ourselves on that list! How wrong we are about our delusions of control. And how aware we become when these certainties are tested.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger DianaTorreRYT said...

Transformation remains a concept..........until we
experience authentic cellular shifts.

To begin, a practice for the stillness ,of body mind & spirit,our inner dancer needs..

To move. To Be! In the Here & now!

When liberation is experienced as the yogis intended,there is only the present.Transformed from the
given genetic codes & cultures.

Our journeys are always arduous &
ongoing. From a baby's first breath in the ethers of our universe. Until that final exhale
from the limits of body & mind.
When we return to pure spirit.

We all share a longing for an
authenticity.

Doing the yoga brings one to
know the spiritual heart that
radiates from a calm, centered
& compassionate course.One rooted in our true SEVA (service). In that
truth, we work with others without
the conflicts that keep our mortal natures playing out the complicated.And far too often
violent conflicts.

Seva is the why of our here & now!

Find teachers who have weathered the path with humor & grace.Doing true yoga never leaves Grace out of the equation.

Regardless of those limits &
blessings of our coded birthrights & religions.

Learn to breathe deeply.Practice kindness inside-out. Have eyes that see the wondrous & ears that hear the WORD in others.Or the longing for the WORD.

Diana Torre RYT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home