Friday, September 28, 2007

Shifting perceptions

We are many. We are one. We are individuals set in a sea of collectivity. Everything we do affects something or someone else in the world.

And yet we never remember that.

We remember that we are lonely. We remember we are in pain. We remember that we have to make our own way, and that in the end we die alone.

This division, this polarity, could be that which causes us to seek meaning in the midst of our confusion.

At least for me.

But something is beginning to shift. And I start to understand that both those places of connectivity and of aloneness exist at exactly the same time. I can be in one or the other, and both, (and undoubtedly there are many more) depending on the choices that I make and how I choose to interpret the present moment.

In the movie “What the Bleep do We Know” and again in Gregg Braden’s “The Divine Matrix” a theory is posited that if protons of light can actually bilocate, be in two places at once, then so can we. Quite honestly, I don’t see how. Not physically anyway.

But what is starting to formulate in my mind is the idea that it is through our perception that we can experience different realities by creating different reactions to the same experience. We can feel hurt by other’s treatment of us, and we can understand that they are hurting. We can learn about ourselves through our interaction with others and we can judge them wanting.

Ironically, as we hold these many realities, we become one thing – more peaceful.

3 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Understanding that pain is a cycle seems key to empathy and "real" forgiveness- if that is what we are choosing to pursue. Many of us are not in a place to be able to step away, look at our filters, and perhaps even connect the idea that perpetrator and victim are often inextricably linked within the actor.

Recently I heard a radio program where a speaker suggested that we "perceive" events physically and that the mind does indeed store these impressions, which must be reconciled with the intellectual version- in some way.

Is there an honesty to physical perception, if we buy into that, absent in the version supplied by the mind? I'm not sure.

I know that in the "worst" moments of my life, the physical reaction remains the freshest in my recollection.

Thank you for sharing your impressions and experiences as you study. I followed the link at TRR.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Laurie Stuart said...

Dear Lynn,

I don't know if there is an honesty in physical perception; I think we are always reacting to some stimuli that is remembered from the past.

But I do think that we have a unique, albeit rather priviledged, opportunity to examine that physical perception and assign a different understanding to it, or many different understandings of it, using the same mind that provided the original perception.

Such choice!

Many thanks for your comment.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, I think your writing is beautiful.

I wonder about assignment, versus the tendency, perhaps conditioned, to believe that we are powerless?

I cant help but think that we often see violence as inescapable, or negotiations as win-lose- the more obvious manifestations of a mind seemingly set in its groove. If there was a way to push ourselves off course, I don't think many of us see it as possible.

I think it is also interesting that you relate your transitions to the plants. Or maybe I am guilty of reading that in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home