Monday, November 01, 2010

A mirror for gratitude



As Stephen and I drove to the Fellowship on October 17, I saw this view and wanted to stop and photograph it. But alas, I was the service leader for the morning, and I felt that I had to pass the still pond by.

So you can imagine my delight when the following Sunday, driving in two cars, with Stephen ahead of me (because I had a meeting that I needed to get to following Skip Mendler's fabulous presentation on the Quaker response to global change), that I noticed that the pond was still and reflective again. A quick u-turn at Three Wishes brought me back to this image, with permission to seize the moment.

Undoubtedly, the view had changed. Undoubtedly, between the week I didn't stop and week I did, the details of the image have altered. Still, and I mean still in a different way, the reflection speaks for itself. And I ponder about how, when our minds and our spirits are still and calm, we embody the universal truth first put forth by Hermes Trismegistus "As above, so below," and gain a certain perspective on life, and stillness, in the midst of the everyday confusing realities.

Mostly, I was grateful that Pat and Jim had the key to the Fellowship, and that I could follow my intention to stop and capture the fleeting.

Speaking of gratitude, I just came across this blog about practicing 30 days of gratitude and it seems like a good idea. I'm going to do it, how about you? www.thirtydaysofgratitude.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger Caddie said...

Such a wonderful scene. I'd like to borrow it sometime if you would allow. Weather/nature is a favored subject of mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home