Sunday, August 01, 2010

Hope and recovery?

My day at the hospital starts with morning report, where the night chaplain explains what has happened the night before. I was intrigued when I saw the name of one of my patients on his list, and shocked when he said that he had coded and died.

When I had entered the patient’s room some 12 hours before, he was eating his breakfast and had offered me oatmeal and applesauce. I teased that he wasn’t offering to share his eggs. His wife, perched cross-legged on the bed, joyfully announced that he had had his best night yet. We talked about when they would return to their home.

The night chaplain had said it had been a tense three hours as the patient suddenly become unresponsive and could not be revived. His daughter had been with him, and was feeling remorse that she had sent her mother to the nearly motel, where they had been staying. Totally distraught, she could not drive the family car to pick her mother up, and the chaplain had to arrange for a taxis to bring the grieving wife to the bedside. The family had been in the hospital for 12 days and they and I had been celebrating this man’s apparent recovery from pancreatic surgery as a miracle. No one expected that he was cured, but it was expected that months had been added to his life.

“God led us to this place,” his wife has told me, following the successful surgery.

And all I can think of now is how do you recall a miracle. How can you celebrate survival from the surgeons’ scalpel only to code an die on the way to recovery? How does one find meaning in that?

Ironically, I had been thinking about death on the way into work that morning and come to the conclusion that life and death were a continuum, and that whatever happened would be okay in the end. I think now of my patient’s teenaged son the day before his father faced surgery. Teary and worried, he cried with the thought that he could lose his dad. I can only imagine his anguish tonight.

I had visited with the family some five or six times, generally playing my harp and singing, which calmed and relieved the patient's anxiety and pain. One day, when that I had entered the room, the son was lying in the bed as his dad was in the chair. I remember how happy he was with my confusion. I only wish I had had him walk me out of the room that day. It was an opportunity to check in with how he was doing. But I hadn’t taken it and was seemingly content with the family telling me how much they appreciated my visits and how much the patient loved the music that I offered.

I wonder now whether I was really doing good ministry, or whether I simply wanted to indulge the vision that we were all part of a miracle and that there was always hope and recovery.

We were all in collusion on that one, and I wonder where we go from here.

18 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger 文王廷 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Algic said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Mouna Ansky said...

Laurie, I think we all have been faced with that type of question of whether our works are the works that God has led us to do or not. I believe that you are abiding in His Word and He will order your steps, your tongue, your hands and your heart.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger 建邱勳 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger 家唐銘 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger 蔡曼鄭美玉屏 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger BB said...

I think (believe?) that patients facing life/death picture themselves as being a burden to their loved ones and having no quality to their life. And knowing they do not want to live this way, choose somehow to go out while doing great. This is just my opinion but I have seen it with several people in this world, including my late husband. It's one way to die with dignity. Guess it's just one of life's mysteries that we will forever ponder over. Thanks for sharing this blog.

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger cynthia said...

I hope I am not intruding. Stumbling upon your blog this evening has been nothing short of an eye opener. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate what you do on a daily basis, and how you take the time in your day to reflect on it. I only hope that if myself, or a family member end up in a hospital that someone as seemingly dedicated and honest is there at our bedside, helping us handle and understand our fears. Your compassion is a rarity in this world. I am grateful that I found this blog. It gave me the hope that I was looking for.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger 江仁趙雲虹昆 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger 無糖甜點 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Laurie Stuart said...

I very much appreciate the feedback on my hospital chaplaincy work. I am slowing making my way home (now in Asheville, NC to continue my ministry in the beautiful Upper Delaware Valley.

I'm having difficulty with comments that lead to chat sites, which are the comments that are deleted, except one that I deleted by mistake. Any suggestions out there?

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger cynthia said...

in the settings section of your dashboard you can edit your comment settings. mine is set to users with google accounts.
you can also change the permissions page to ensure that only people with their own blogs can read you blog.
good luck.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger preschool said...

Hi, I happened upon your blog. Your thoughts, and the love you offer to others, were so heartwarming, and yet at the same time heartwrenching. Your work is important to others, I remember the loving care when my father was dying, what we would have not been able to provide for him without the support of the staff.
God bless you.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog.keep it up.submit your blog posts for greater exposure at indiasurfer.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home