Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ambassador of God

There's is a awful lot of praying that happens in the Pastoral Care Department and in the work of the chaplains. Our morning and afternoon report begin with a prayer. Most pastoral visits either begin or end with a prayer.

I like prayer, and see it as praying to that small wise essence in ourselves. Another Unitarian Universalist chaplain colleagues describes praying for another as connecting his wise essence in himself, to the wise essence in the other. He prays across to the other person, as opposed to up to an outside entity.

Many of the prayers offered during our routine reports are "He" focused, complete with "You" pronoun that is responsible for all. A common prayer might be: "We thank You, God, for the gifts that You provide for us. Help us to ever grow closer to You and to do Your will in our work today."

It's a cool prayer and I have do a bit of translating to find connection in it. God for me is not a being, it is an ever present life force. God, for me, is the fabric of the universe. And as beings in the universe, that life-force is in all of us, and it plays out in our lives all of the time.

I hear the voice of God within me and that voice guides me always. But it is not a person and "He" does not exercise "His" will. I connect to that life-affirming energy and depending on my connection, it meets me where I am.

It is mystical, it is ancient, it is intimately connected to everything. We function in its presence, and we create its presence by our attention.

I'm happy for this exploration and I'm content with the time that I have to explore this spiritual connection in my life. In our initial orientation, we were told that we were the ambassadors of God. And that being that ambassador, it wasn't a question of our relationship to God, we were to meet people in their relationship to God.

Interesting though, in order to meet people where they are, you have to know where you stand.

7 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger Hybrid said...

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/thinkhybrid or check out my blog @ http://hybridnow.blogspot.com/

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger science fun said...

GOD bless you!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger SP Balamurugan said...

nice to read ur posts. BTW, We follow the same layout :)

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger BB said...

The more I read your posts the more I think about how much we have in common. My mother accuses me of having no religion because I don't go to church or pray the "typical" prayers. When I tell her that I am very spiritual she says that's nothing. Now she is 85 so I let it roll. I was never comfortable with death until I reached a spiritual place in my world and dealing with my late husbands death was much easier for both of us because of the spirituality. I'm comfortable in my shoes. Thanks for a great blog.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the “Next Blog” button in the Nav Bar at the top of my blogspot blog. I occasionally just check out other blogs to see what others are doing.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Caddie said...

Possibly I don't know where I'm at. That's worrisome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home