Wednesday, November 24, 2010

From my bedroom window

The wind blows and the pine trees sway in the side field, just beyond my bedroom window. Sitting in bed, propped up with pillows, I watch as the branches dance, each one to a slightly different rhythm. I note that they move with the wind and always, always, come back to stillness. With a large gust, I imagine that the truck of the tree sways as well.

I remember being in the woods last week and listening to the sound that the trees made when the trunk was moved. At the time, I imagined that it was the tree speaking. It seems meaningful in this moment that a tree emits sounds when buoyed around and is silent in tranquility. I think about how a baby cries when it is unhappy. How often we are moved to speak when we have objection.

Additionally, ironically, thought my eyes this morning, I hear them speak to me of silence. In their movement, they teach me about rest and stillness.

On this morning, the day before Thanksgiving, I am thankful for these paradoxical lessons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home