Sunday, April 05, 2009

There's Hope

Opening words at the Upper Delaware Unitarian Universalist Fellowship service, Hope in Uncertain Times, April 5

Oft times I worry
That I will not be able
To cope with all life that brings.
I worry that I will break,
In the midst of turmoil,
In the midst of the unexpected.

It causes me, this worry, to feel disconnected
Cast off to make it on my own
Like an egg that can be carelessly
Taken out of the carton and placed on a table
And, in a blink of an eye, roll off and fall to the floor.

It’s easily done this rolling off the edge.
Alone, broken, unfixable.

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king’s horses and all the king’s men
Could not put Humpty back together again.

I worry that that’s my lot.
Falling off that wall.

But sometimes I know that I am not alone.
I know that I am connected to a whole that seeks
balance and the still point
where we can stand on the edge
mysteriously and joyously connected

and filled with hope.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home