Wednesday, December 10, 2008

An answer to a prayer

She was a slight woman and had a pre-teenaged daughter with her. Her eyes were bright and when she approached us following the noonday prayers at the Eyup Sultan Mosque in Eyup, one of the most sacred places in the Islamic world, her joy was palpable. She hugged each one of us, brushing her cheeks against our cheeks three times. And as if that wasn’t enough, she brushed her hand against each one of our faces, gave us another blessing and a kiss on the head.

Her wordless joy pierced my own heart’s longing for peace between peoples and in the world. A river of tears poured forth. As I stood there, aching with sorrow my traveling companions responded with expressions of care and concern. And as it is when one is fragile and open, their concern and love made the tears flow more quickly.

I am thankful for the release. Yesterday at the Patriarchal Cathedral Church of St. George, I had beseeched the mosaic icon of Mary, known for its healing and magical qualities to help me find a way to joy and peace, and an uncluttered path to a real connection to love and joy in the world.

As İ touch the memory of the woman at the mosque, İ know that she lives in the same world that I do and is choosing to celebrate connection and revel in the joy that is found there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home